Saturday, June 5, 2010

To learn another language

I now find my self in a place where it is not only about learning the technique of playing Brazilian music, but about learning the language. It' s about loosing the accent that makes people hear that you are not from here. And the more you play, and the more you get into it, the harder it is to get a hold of the small details that makes you sound different from the rest. It's enough to play some sixteenth note in stead of others , and it right away sounds like an Americanized samba or bossa.
It's about hearing, speaking, thinking the language every day. It's about not having to pull out the dictionary every once in a while. Will I ever get there... I don't know. I more frequently feel lost than oriented these days, and need to remind my self to listen through a indie or folk album a day just to breathe a little.
Song of the week: Steve Winwood "Can't find my way home" .

No comments:

Post a Comment